Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Impressions of Week 3 (of C25K)

I've probably never listened to 30 consecutive minutes of hip-hop before. The podcast that I downloaded for C25K Week 3 was all-hip-hop-all-the-time and I liked it as much - and maybe even more - than the pop (Nicole) and techno (Robert) ones I tried last week. This one was from somebody named Suz, who showed up on the ipod as "kiss my black ass." Hmm.

The run was easy. I found that it went by really fast because there were only 4 intervals of running. The longer 3-minute ones felt entirely manageable. I even found myself running a little faster than I have, enjoying the sensation of (relative) speed. Again, I ended the run feeling excited about the progress I've made. I would even say I'm eager to try next week's 5-minute run, and beyond.

So far, I feel like this program is perfectly suited to my level of fitness. I wouldn't say that I was a couch potatoe before starting it because we are a car-less family in a big city so I'm used to walking quite a bit. So far the demands of C25K have never felt overwhelming; in fact, I've never felt pushed to my limit at all. For me, this is ideal because it's empowering - it leaves me wanting more.

The only thing that bothered me tonight was some slight pain in the inside of my left knee. I had noticed it when I was walking today and yesterday, and I noticed it when I was running, although it never really seemed to get worse. I think it probably has more to do with the way I scooped my daughter up out of her bed the other night than with running. But still. I am so afraid that I'll hurt myself and have to stop. I know the first thing I need to do to prevent injury is to get some new running shoes! Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment