Friday, June 4, 2010

Reactions to Running

On my way out to run tonight, I stopped to chat with some of my neighbours. We live in a cooperative apartment building so there's lots of wonderful neighbourly togetherness. These particular friends know all about my new-found running habit and are oh-so supportive. They asked me if I've noticed a difference in how I feel on a day-to-day basis since I've started running. They explained that whenever they find the time to incorporate some cardio into their schedules, they immediately feel energized, more settled, and absolutely convinced that regular cardio could change their lives for the better.

Their question caught me off guard and I'll be interested to think about it over the next few days. The first thing that sprang to mind was kinda random: I feel like it's easier and more fulfilling to take big deep breaths than it was before I started C25K. I'm not talking about how I breathe when I run, but just moments when I intentionally try to breathe calmly and deeply, like when I'm helping my daughter to fall asleep at night. But I don't even know if that connection (between cardio and impressions of lung capacity) makes sense.

The other change I've noticed is that I feel sore more often! :)

**

When I came home from my run, I was greeted by my beloved parents, who are visiting us for a few days. My parents have struggled with issues around weight and exercise for most of their adult lives. I'm noticing that talking with them about running feels slightly awkward. This is the first time they've witnessed me running and my Dad's reaction as I came in was to joke, "Who ARE you? Running? Really?" Then Mom asked me, "But do you LIKE it? Aren't you worried about hurting your knees or something with all that jarring?"

I recognize myself in their responses - or I guess, I recognize the ways in which I learned those responses from them. Not long ago, I also questioned runner friends with "But how can you actually ENJOY it?" I explained to Mom that it's exciting and motivating to see my endurance build up so quickly - from the 60-second runs of Week 1 to a 20-minute run in Week 5. Her response: "Twenty minutes?! I don't know about this running thing."

I'm not upset or disappointed about these comments, but it's important to note the reactions because I am interested in thinking through the attitudes to body, health, eating and exercise that I have inherited from my family.

Thoughts?


**

As for the run itslef, it was C25K Week 6 Day 1. It was okay, but not spectacular. Honestly, that 8-minute interval felt more difficult than the 20 minutes last time. I just felt kinda hot, and my nose was running, and my left knee was hurting a bit (yes, mom, I do worry about hurting my knees!), and maybe I'd eaten too much supper... Who knows why the same activity can feel so different on different occasions?! I don't want to whine, though, because I did complete it and I'm not too discouraged.

3 comments:

  1. First off, your comment about your breathing/lung capacity totally makes sense! Isn't it nice?!?

    As for your parents reaction to your running, I just don't know what to say. I wish they were more supportive of you, but I can understand (sorta, kinda, but maybe not really) because of their history. I'm just glad that you're not letting that discourage you or influence the way that you think/feel about running. Yes, it is hard on your joints but it's so good for you in other ways. There are positives and negatives to most everything out there. Just focus on the positive, keep your head held high, and do what feels right and empowering to you.

    Our family can have a major impact on the way we view things (trust me, I know all about this from personal experience-for good and for bad). I think that it's important that we step back and take a look at things. We really need to stop and think about the impression that we want to leave on our children. I've tried to do this and am thankful for your reminder that I need to continue to evaluate these things for myself.

    Good luck with your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a larger than average family and I too found that my attitudes about exercise were shaped by the lack of focus on physical phitnmess in my own home growing up. My mother has been a large woman my entire life and last year she underwent gastric bypass surgery. My attitudes toward that have totally changed in that it isn't the "easy way out" I always thought it was. It certainly makes the weight come off faster, but it does not negate the fact that you have to totally change the way you think about and eat food. She has since brought about a new way of cooking and is exercising regualrly. I would be lying if seeing her getting skinnier than me did not influence my decision to get in shape and get fit. I totally support her decision to get healthy, but I found that my sense of identity was thrown way off by seeing the woman who had always been fat, being skinny. I'm glad that I chose the road of doing something about it. If you could get your parents to read your blog, perhaps the positivity about getting healthy might rub off a bit. I'm glad you didn't let them bring you down. Keep running, keep writing, keep up the positive attitude. I love reading your blog and you inspire me to keep going too! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for really engaging with this post. It's hard to describe how these little exchanges with my parents really felt. I know that my parents are impressed with my running, but I think it just feels so far out to them that they express a mix of concern, humour and incredulity. There's almost an embarassment lingering in the air - as if my activity highlights their own lack of activity. It's not getting me down at all, but does make me thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete