Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Break and Back

After my 25-minute run last Thursday, my left knee was unmistakeably sore. The following day, it was bothering me with every step I took. I knew I'd need to take a few days off from running. It was kindof scary to take a break. Even though I've had 6 weeks to incorporate running into my schedule and to make it a new habit, I felt a certain irrational fear that I would suddenly slip back into being the non-runner that I was before I began C25K. I worried that I'd somehow instantly lose the 25-minute capacity that I'd worked up to, even though I know that'd be impossible in only a few days.

Tonight I decided to tackle Week 7 Day 1. I also decided to experiment a little with running faster. I wanted to see how much ground I could cover and also see if I would feel a bit lighter if I forced a little more spring into my step. I managed to maintain a brisker pace, but at around 18 minutes, I felt more exhausted than I ever have thus far in the program and I slowed down considerably. Yet after a few minutes at a slower pace, I was able to speed back up a bit for the last few minutes. As soon as it was over, my legs felt like jello and the cool-down walk back home was verrrry slow.

Even though it was difficult, I'm glad I tried to go a bit faster because I felt like my form was better at that speed. I also experimented with breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth, which may have helped me to breathe more deeply, or at least distracted me somewhat as I ran. As far as I can tell, I probably ran about 3.40 km, so I did indeed go further than last time.

The bad news is that my knee still hurts. It doesn't hurt as much as last week but it's the same kind of pain in exactly the same spot. I think that it hurts less than last week because I was paying closer attention to my form, but we'll see how it feels tomorrow. I am really really hoping that this is an injury that can heal, or a question of positioning that I can correct. I'm so so discouraged to think that maybe my knee just can't hold up to the kind of running that I want to pursue. I've been working towards the day when I can say that I run 5 kilometres 3 times a week and I hope that that can still happen.

2 comments:

  1. well done on your 25 min runs and increasing your speed. Take care of your knee maybe try a support bandage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on picking up your speed and completing your run! That's great! As for the knee issues and irrational fears...I hear ya. My left knee has been bothering me for quite some time now. I pretty much have had to give up on any kind of squats/lunges because it pops and clicks with each one (it does the same thing every time I walk up stairs too). Have you been icing after your runs? I also do like Joanne suggested and wear a supportive knee brace. I can feel a major difference when I forget to wear mine. Good luck with it. Hopefully it's nothing a little rest and ice can't fix.

    ReplyDelete